From the manufacturer:
From humble beginnings in the basement of a northeast Philadelphia row house, Simkar Corporation is now among the largest fluorescent lighting fixture manufacturers in the United States. In 1946, two partners, Mr. Simon & Mr. Karger, founded Simkar in Philadelphia, PA. Shortly thereafter, the founding partners sold the company to Barney Bernstein and Charlie Trowbridge.
The company began strictly as an assembler of lighting fixtures from purchased components, which were sold to local electrical distributors. As sales volume increased and geographic areas served by the company expanded, Simkar broadened its product line and increased production capacity, including the acquisition of a metal fabrication capability. From the beginning, lighting products utilizing fluorescent light sources predominated the product line.
Today, after more than 55 years, Simkar remains committed to superior product quality and service, product line diversification and acquisition, and investment in both our core customers as well as our channel partners. It is this commitment that shapes Simkar for the next 50 years and beyond.